Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pancakes as Big As Your Head

I have no problems admitting to be a fan of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Not as much for Guy Fieri (though he a grown on me, just a bit) but for the concept of the show. I love finding the small Mom and Pop restaurants or the old time traditional diner. Good, filling, and sometimes ecclectic foods. The comfort foods that please the palate and stomach and usually a lot of it.


I have several different food buddies. They are all from different parts of my life and don't really know each other. Funny how that works out. Todays outing was with really good friends,a husband and wife, T and F. We're all into the diner cuisine and experience (as well as many other foods) . On this Saturday morning excursion we were off to Sacramento. I found a place called Jim Denny's through Yelp. A small free standing diner in the middle of downtown Sacramento that has about 10 counter seats. History from their website says the diner opened in 1934. The current owners took over in 2005. We were expecting a line out the door after reading the Yelp reviews and the four and a half star rating but we sat immediately on the last three stools. It's probably a different story during the week. There were a lot of takeout while we were having breakfast. A four by four foot flatop near the front window was where all the food was cooked. Though actually known for their hamburgers, the overwhelming reason we came to this establishment was based on a picture of the pancakes served here. The full stack consists of only two pancakes. But each these two rounds of pancake were about twelve inches in diameter and an inch thick. Pancakes here we come! "F" ordered first: eggs, bacon and a pancake. "T" ordered next. He was all for the full stack of pancakes the size of hubcaps. Unfortunately for him, the waitress was against that decision. She basically said, "No, have the short stack. The full stack is too much." To the disappointment of T, he accepted that he would only be allowed to order a short stack. I personally was ready to order breakfast #4 (two eggs, 4 slices of bacon, hash browns, and toast) PLUS a short stack of pancakes. The waitress gave me the same look as she gave T and pretty much gave me a similar talk. "No, you don't want a short stack." Now I really wanted to have one of those crazy huge pancakes. I looked her in the eyes and she looked at me. She then said she would give me a pancake instead of the toast that came with my breakfast. Sigh, I agreed. It felt like my Mom telling me what I could or couldn't eat. We sat with facination as the pancakes were put on the flatop. OMG! There must have been a quart of pancake batter for T's "short stack" I have no idea how the cook flipped that pancake, but she did it. Okay, now I was beginning to agree with the waitress about our orders when the food arrived. There was no exaggerating when I "humorously" called the short stack pancake as a "hubcap" or "as big as your head." OMFG!

Here is a picture of that short stack:

Can you see the plate under the pancake? No you can't. The pancake is hanging at least a inch over the side. Plus it must to have been an inch thick.

Here's my breakfast to give something to compare to:


Can you see the plate here? Of course you can because it's a "normal" sized pancake. The pancakes were delicious. Tender but still with a nice chewy texture. The hash browns were extra buttery or as T describes "potatoes to go with my butter." The bacon and eggs were the usual. It took T a little bit of time to finish off his "single" (probably one pound) pancake. F and I were done with our meals for quite a while before T took his last bite. Needless to say, T didn't have anything else to eat for the rest of the day except for a cup of soup. I'm surprised he even had that. All of our meals, plus coffee for F and T came out to just about $25.00 including tax and tip. The humungoid pancake (that could probably feed a small village) was only $4.00.

We will be back to Jim Denny's. They are actually known for their burgers more than their breakfasts. There are 1/3 pound, 1/2 pound and 1 full pound burger offerings. Look for our next adventure. Burp!

No comments: