Thursday, June 26, 2008

PB & Jelly Brownies

PB & Jelly Brownies
Okay, I cheated. It started as a box of Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge brownie mix. I actually can bake. I even went to school to learn about it (California Culinary Academy, Class of 1994). But sometimes the Sandra Lee comes out in me. Yea, it was a package mix but it needed to be something more. Mmmmmm....peanut butter. Double mmmmmm.....peanut butter and jelly. Swirl in some peanut butter and some strawberry jelly. How can that go wrong? Well it can. Not that it was all bad. But I did find out that the combination wasn't going to follow the instructed baking time. Maybe it was too much peanut butter, maybe too much jelly. It was suppose to take about 45 minutes in my 8"x 8" pyrex dish. The center wouldn't set up. I added 10 minutes, then another 10 minutes, and then 5 minutes more. This thing baked for over an hour and the gosh darn thing still wouldn't set completely. Unfortunately the edges took well to the heat and they were turning really dark. Whoops. I let it cool and put in the fridge hoping it would harden up better. It hardened up a bit too well. I couldn't cut it let alone bite it when I finally got a piece out. But strangely, it tasted pretty good. The edges weren't burned but they were kinda hard and dry. I left it out of the fridge and it finally became softer and turned out to have a pretty good texture. The picture is showing two of the last four pieces I had left. I think next time I need to add more jelly, if there is a next time.

No comments: