Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes......


Test numero uno......

Sharon has been having such a craving for cupcakes ever since finding a delicious blog called Cupcake Bakeshop by Chockylit. (NOTE: Unfortunately, the blog's creator has ceased producing new entries but all her recipes are still available online.) I was going to see her so I thought I'd put together a cupcake for her.

She had also sent me a link to an article she found on SFGate that was written a couple of years ago about, well what do you know, cupcakes! This first entry was created from a recipe found in the SFGate article from Flo Braker for a Basic Vanilla Cupcake. I followed the recipe exactly as written in the article; butter, sugar, flour, vanilla, etc. The batter consistency was great and while it was baking the aroma was intoxicating. The color came out a nice golden hue. While they were cooling I proceeded to eat one while they were still warm. It was tasty but could be tastier and butterier (?). Maybe more vanilla-y-er (??). I need to think about a frosting/icing/topping of some sort. I first thought a burnt caramel frosting sounded good. But I wanted to go simplier and just made a chocolate ganache with some chocolate, cream and butter, then added some confectioner's sugar to give it the consistency I wanted. I dipped the cupcakes instead of spreading them. I then made a simple decorating icing with confectioner's sugar and milk to drizzle on top for a bit of contrast. You see the results. Experimental but they turned out okay. I gave seven of them to Sharon. I ate the rest of them myself in the next two days. I guess they were a little better than just "okay."

No comments: