Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Mar Family Picnic 2008

(NOTE: I am so sorry that I don't have any pictures for this post. I had the camera but my brain was not functioning well.)

It was time for the annual Mar Family picnic. I look forward to this every year. The Mar family is over 125 strong. We never get everyone at these picnics but there are the core people that attend and smattering of the rest. This year's attendance was maybe about forty-five. With the family getting older, my cousin has been doing a great job of keeping the tradition alive. These past few years have been potlucks.

These are really good potlucks. It is a mix of Asian and American foods brought together that has evolved through the years. Uncle Harry always has to bring donuts from Rolling Pin Donuts in San Bruno. A nice mix that has to have some yeast raised sugar donuts. This year there were lo mein and chow mein dishes (two chow, one lo). All homemade and all made with chicken. There was plenty of chicken: Chinese style fried chicken (one garlic and jalapeno seasoned wings and one batter fried drumsticks), chili lime wings, and boneless teriyaki chicken thighs. Salads: green, pasta with shrimp, potato, and macaroni. Delicious chili. Stir fried vegetables. Pulled pork sandwiches with bbq sauce and cole slaw. Good 'ol american sub sandwich. Desserts: chocolate bundt cake, peanut butter brownies, chocolate chip cookies, butter cookies, macaroons, candy. Root beer on tap. Chips. Salsa. I can't think of anything else, but I know there was more.

I had a nice day with my niece Ava. We hung around the food tables snacking on little tastes of cookies, brownies, madelines and and the "crunchies" left in pan of fried chicken.

It was a good day.

No comments: