Monday, July 21, 2008

Filipino Family Food

A friend, Flo, visiting from Seattle invite me and some friends over to her mother's house to have some homemade Filipino food. Yum.

A few of us met at the home of Flo's mom at about 5:00. I was first, not always the case but it was this time. There were a four other's invited over for dinner. Two of her friends from high school (Lowell, go Indians! Class of '77. They are known as the more P.C. "Cardinals" now.) plus a married couple that I've become friends with via Flo. Flo was in the midst of preparing a Filipino vegetable dish consisting of egg plant, squash, uh, and other vegetables. There was also the addition of shrimp paste. I wasn't sure if I had tried shrimp paste before but I'm game to try almost anything (ALMOST anything). It ended up totally delicious. Meanwhile "mom" had already completed or was in the midst of preparing a pancit dish, lumpia, chicken adobo, deep fried fish with a sweet/sour sauce and I think some other things that I've forgotten. Oh yea, there were the boiled peanuts mom had me try before dinner. I had never tried boiled peanuts thinking they would be kind of strange. They WERE kind of strange but in a good way, a bit mushy in texture but it was tasty.

The night ended in the Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel with the Lowellites and myself (the married couple had to go home with their child). I had never been before and it was a fun experience. The lightweight I am, I ordered a virgin fruit drink that was pretty tasty. The conversations were interesting and beautiful singer and band were great (70's music, yea!).

Thanks Florinda!

No comments: